For a Palate Pleasing Treat —
There’s nothing new about just wrapping slices of prosciutto around asparagus spears. But when you further embellish such ready companions with these quick additions, this classic combo evolves from delicious to simply divine. We had it the other night as a first course before hot bowls of creamed leek and potato soup, but you could easily make a meal of it. And for a further match made in heaven, might I suggest a loaf of Meyer Lemon Rosemary bread from Petaluma's own Della Fattoria to round things out nicely?
Casual Recipe for Asparagus and Prosciutto Plus
blanched asparagus spears
paper-thin slices of prosciutto
Basque sheep's milk cheese
peeled and sliced fuyu persimmon (bosc, comice or d'anjou pear)
minced shallots (scallions or red onion)
fresh lemon juice
extra-virgin olive oil
fresh rosemary (parsley or thyme)
- Wrap pieces of sliced prosciutto around asparagus spears to arrange on a plate.
- Surround with slices of sheep's milk cheese and persimmon.
- Sprinkle on minced shallots.
- Drizzle on a little lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and then olive oil to dress.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Garnish with rosemary. That's it!
Bon Appetit! Kay