To Celebrate Spring Baby Vegetables —
What could be more heavenly? These are just the basic proportions, so feel free to double the recipe. I always do! And besides simply reheating any intentional extras later, just to keep things lively, you can always combine them with good broth to simmer and then purée together for an instant version of that comforting classic, leek and potato soup. Ta da!
Casual Recipe for Creamed Leeks and Potatoes
unsalted butter [several Tb.]
baby leeks, sliced [about 2 cups]
waxy new potatoes, diced [about 2 cups]
fresh thyme [several sprigs tied with string]
water [several Tb.]
heavy cream [1 cup]
fresh parsley, chopped
- In a heavy covered skillet over medium heat, cook the leeks in butter for several minutes until just translucent.
- Fold in the potatoes.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add the water, cover and reduce the heat to low to gently cook until barely tender (10-15 minutes).
- Fold in the cream, grate on the nutmeg, and cover to cook until the vegetables are completely tender and the cream has been partially absorbed and thickened to coat them.
- Taste for salt and pepper. Yum.
- Fold in the chopped parsley.